The Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program provides young people who have demonstrated academic talent with access to quality education. The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a growing initiative and to date, the Program has committed over $700 million to support the education and leadership development of over 30,000 young people. Throughout a network of partners, the Scholars Program ensures that students whose academic talent and promise exceed their financial resources are equipped with the knowledge and skills they need to become the next generation of ethical leaders.
University of Edinburgh
All African countries
Worth of Scholarship
Full Tuition Fees
Postgraduate and Undergraduate
Number of Scholarships
10 scholarships are available in 2020/2021 for Masters programs
- You must qualify academically for admission to the University of Edinburgh. We prefer that applicants apply to this scholarship BEFORE applying to the University. Please see the section on applying below for more information;
- The student must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country, whose personal circumstances would make accepting an offer from the University of Edinburgh difficult. Applications from Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe are particularly welcome;
- Applicants must demonstrate a track record of leadership and service within your community; and
- You are able to present economically disadvantaged circumstances and be able to show that you lack financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary (university) education in your home country or elsewhere.
The scholarship may be terminated at any time when an unsatisfactory progress report is received from the School or if the scholarship holder ceases to be registered as a full-time student at the University of Edinburgh.
Selection Criteria for University of Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation scholarship
Postgraduate masters Scholars will
- Complete six courses followed by the production of a dissertation;
- Participate in a retreat designed to nurture leadership skills;
- Attend a short Summer School; and
- Undertake an internship that will include reflective learning.
Online distance Masters Scholars will
- Undertake a range of online distance Masters degrees which will be available to 60 Scholars from Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions
How to Apply for the University of Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholarship
All applicants must apply for the scholarship first through our online application form and, if successful, will be assisted in the process of applying for admission to the University.
It is important to go through application instructions on the Scholarship Webpage (See Link below) before applying.
The Edinburgh Mastercard Foundation Scholarship is currently not ongoing and you are advised to stay in touch with this page to be the first to be updated