If you are looking for scholarship in Canada for Nigeria students? then you are on the right page. Keep reading to find out some opportunities you can get access to as a Nigerian student.
Nigeria is one of the countries that send the highest number of students to Canada. It was reported that in 2017, Nigerians were the third largest group of international students in Canada, after Indian and Chinese students.
If you are considering a study abroad program in Canada and want to keep your costs low without compromising your education, there are a few ways you can get a scholarship for Nigerian students.
Scholarships are not just about getting financial aid but also about unlocking new opportunities and creating a more informed and confident you. Even if you don’t have much time left before starting university or another post-secondary institution, it’s not too soon to begin thinking about how you can fund your education.
Applying for scholarships is an excellent way to reduce the cost of tuition. If you are willing to take up this opportunity, here is a list of scholarships you can get as a Nigerian student in Canada, and then how you can find a scholarship yourself
Suggestion: Kaduna State Scholarship (All You Need To Know)
List Of Some Scholarship In Canada For Nigeria Students
- Trudeau Foundation Scholarships (and Fellowships): The Trudeau Foundation offers a variety of scholarships and fellowships to students from various countries. These awards are given on the basis of academic excellence, financial need, or a combination of both. To apply, you must attend an accredited college or university in a country where the Foundation offers its scholarships. These countries include the United States, Canada, and several European countries. Click Here To Know More About The Scholarship
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships: This is a scholarship offered by the National Science Foundation, which is dedicated to supporting research in various fields of science. To apply for this scholarship, you must have completed your doctorate within the last two years. The preferred focus of your research must be in the mathematical sciences, natural sciences, computer science, or engineering. You must also plan to attend a postdoctoral fellowship program in Canada during the next academic year. Learn More
- The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS): This is another scholarship available for international students who are looking to pursue a graduate degree in Canada. The Vanier CGS awards up to $35,000 per year for a maximum of 3 years. This is a competitive scholarship, and you must have very strong academic credentials to be eligible. The application process for this scholarship is a bit different from others, as you must be nominated by a university. Check It Out
- University Of Calgary Canada International Entrance Scholarship 2023: The University of Calgary is offering an International Entrance Scholarship of $15,000 CAD to a new incoming transfer or an exchange student from an institution outside of Canada. This scholarship is awarded based on a combination of academic excellence and financial need. You can apply for this scholarship by submitting a transfer or exchange application to the University of Calgary.
- Canada Provincial Government Student Assistance for International Students 2022-2023: The government of Canada has announced its financial assistance program for international students who wish to pursue higher education in the country. The program is open to all countries and is available for pursuing any course at any college or university in Canada. Students who wish to pursue higher education in Canada can apply for this program by visiting the IRCC website or can click on the given link.
- Durham College Canada English Proficiency Entrance Scholarship 2023: This scholarship is awarded to students who want to study in Canada. To be eligible for this scholarship, candidates must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. The degree program must be in English language or literature. You can apply for this scholarship here.
>Check This Out: NGO Scholarships In Nigeria You Can Apply For
Other Tips To Get Scholarship In Canada For Nigeria Students
Know the different scholarship types
If you are planning to apply for a scholarship, it is important to understand the different types of scholarships that are available.
Here are some of the most common types of scholarships:
- Academic scholarships – These awards are based on your academic achievements. If you have a high GPA or SAT score, you might be eligible for this type of scholarship.
- Athletic scholarships – If you are an athlete who excels in a particular sport, you may be eligible for a scholarship.
- Cultural scholarships – Scholarships of this type are awarded to students who demonstrate knowledge about and/or appreciation for culture.
- Merit-based scholarships – If you have a high GPA or are involved in extracurricular activities, you may be eligible for one of these types of scholarships.
- Need-based scholarships – If you have a financial need, you may qualify for need-based scholarships.
- Special scholarships – There are a variety of special scholarships available, such as scholarships for minorities or members of sororities or fraternities.
>> Helpful Content: How To Get Scholarship In Nigeria: Complete Steps
Check if you are eligible for a Canadian scholarship.
There are a number of factors that affect your eligibility for a Canadian scholarship. The first thing to do is to make sure that you are eligible to apply for a scholarship. Some scholarships require that you be a citizen of a particular country, be studying in a particular field, or have a specific GPA.
So, before you start applying for Canadian scholarships, you should make sure you are eligible to apply. Another thing to keep in mind is that not all scholarships are merit-based.
If you are applying for a merit-based scholarship, you may be required to submit your standardized test scores and/or your GPA. On the other hand, if you are applying for a need-based scholarship, you will be required to provide proof of your financial situation.
Identify potential scholarships for Nigerian students.
Start by creating a list of Canadian universities that you are considering studying at. Then, visit their websites and conduct a search for scholarships. You can also find scholarships by connecting with organizations that provide scholarships for Nigerian students.
You can also ask your school’s financial aid or study abroad office for a list of scholarships that are open to Nigerian students.
Start applying for Scholarship In Canada For Nigeria Students.
To start applying for a scholarship, you should create a list of all the awards for which you are eligible. You can do this by creating a spreadsheet or a journal and listing the name of the scholarship, its requirements, and your eligibility.
Next, set up a calendar and create a plan for applying for these awards. You should start applying for scholarships at least six months before your expected graduation date. This will allow you enough time to submit all the required documents and receive a scholarship award.
If you are applying for Canadian scholarships, it is important to note that the deadlines are very different from those in Nigeria.
Conclusion On Scholarship In Canada For Nigeria Students
Scholarships are a great way to fund your education without taking out loans. If you are a Nigerian student, you can use these tips to find and apply for Canadian scholarships.
By using these tips, you can increase your chances of being awarded a scholarship. With a little planning and hard work, you will have no problem finding a scholarship to fund your education.