Landing on this page means you are interested to know the Requirements To Study In Germany For Nigerian Students, if that seems to be the case, then you are on the right page
One of the main reasons why many Nigerians choose to study in Germany is because they can get a quality education at affordable costs.
Germany is one of the top destinations for Nigerian students studying abroad. Almost all universities and colleges have exchange programs with German universities, which means that students from both countries can enroll in their respective programs during these programs.
This makes it easy for international students to enroll in their course of choice from Germany as a Nigerian. However, before signing up, there are some requirements that you need to meet before being able to enroll in your desired course at any university or college in Germany.
If you are an international student looking for a place to study in Germany, this article will help you find out some of the requirements you need to meet before signing up for your German course.
Studying in Germany as a Nigeria Student
The Nigerian community in Germany is one of the largest in the world. The main reason for this is that there are many Nigerians who have chosen to study in Germany as a means of escaping poverty and unemployment.
As an international student, you are allowed to enroll in any course of your choice at any university or college in Germany.
Studying in Germany can be an unforgettable experience thanks to the country’s beautiful architecture, excellent educational and cultural institutions, and rich cultural heritage. There is also no charge for undergraduate or graduate programs, making it an excellent choice for students.
Studying in German institutions does not require you to empty your wallet. You may only need to pay certain fees for each semester, for accommodation and meals. Working as a student in Germany is also allowed, earning up to €1,000 (1,000 euros) meaning you can make sufficient money as a student
Requirements to Study in Germany for Nigerian Students
The following are the requirements to study in Germany for Nigerian students;
- Admission letter
- You must be a Nigerian citizen and have a valid visa to study in Germany.
- You must have completed secondary education with a minimum of five (5) credit points at the Ordinary Level Examination/General Certificate of Education.
- You must be in good health and have no physical or mental disabilities or contagious diseases.
- English Language Proficiency Certificate is required
- You must be able to live and study in Germany for at least one year.
- You must have a block account with the fund as a deposit before your arrival in Germany, you need to open this block account immediately after you get admission. The deposit will be returned to you when you arrive in Germany for your studies. The block account is where you deposit the required amount of money to cover your academic and personal expenses during your first year in Germany. According to estimates, a Nigerian student’s annual expenses in Germany amount to €9,600. This is how much money you would need to deposit into the account to cover your expenses.
- You will also be required to pay tuition fees and other costs related to your studies based on the course of study that you choose. These costs may include tuition fees; residence expenses (in the case of accommodation); health insurance; laboratory supplies and materials; textbooks; travel costs for field trips and excursions; medical insurance; miscellaneous expenses such as telephone charges, internet access, postage, and transport costs for personal items sent from Nigeria to Germany and vice versa.
- Your Birth certificate
- Your Secondary School Transcript
How long does it take to get a German student visa from Nigeria?
The visa process can take anywhere between 1 to 3 months. Students who apply during the academic year will likely receive their visas faster due to the low volume of applications. Students applying outside of the academic year may experience a longer visa application process due to a higher volume of applications.
A student visa is valid for a period of up to one year and can be extended for up to another year, depending on the type of study program you have enrolled in. During the time of processing the visa, you will not be able to enter Germany. Once your visa has been issued, you will need to visit the nearest German Embassy or Consulate to obtain your visa.
How much does it cost to study in Germany for Nigerian students?
Studying in Germany is not only free but also pretty affordable. A single person can live comfortably on 700–800 EUR per month. If you want to live in a more expensive area or like to eat out often, you can spend up to 1,000 EUR per month.
Students get public health insurance, which covers the costs of medical care. In most cases, this insurance is better than what you would get with private health insurance in your home country.
You can also apply for a scholarship or financial assistance. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers scholarships to study in Germany, as well as funding for research projects.
How long can I stay in Germany after my student visa expires?
In most cases, you are required to leave the country within 10 days of your visa expiring. If you plan to stay in Germany after your visa has expired, you must apply for an extension before your current visa expires.
It is very important that you do not overstay your visa, as this could lead to serious consequences. In some cases, you may be able to renew your visa before it expires. You must have a valid reason for the visa expiring.
You may need to provide documentation to support your application.
How long do I need to wait After studying before applying for my German permanent residence?
It usually takes about 4–5 months to process a study permit. After you have received your permit, you have 1 year to apply for your residence permit. During this time, you can stay in Germany for your study. After you have received your residence permit, you can stay in Germany indefinitely.
Can I work while I am in Germany?
Yes, you can work while studying in Germany. There are various programs available for international students to be involved in an internship or work placement during their studies. Many companies also offer work placement programs for students. There are strict rules about eligibility to work in Germany, especially for non-EU citizens.
You should check with your embassy to see what the rules are for your country. You will also need to get a permit to work, which can take several months.
Conclusion On Requirements To Study In Germany For Nigerian Students
The study permit for Germany is a complex process and it can be a daunting task to apply for a German student visa. The most important thing is to have patience and hope that you will get the German student visa.