Bill Gates Scholarship is one of the most prestigious awards in the world. Furthermore, the program was established in 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
Also, know that the Gates Millenium Scholarship is a highly prestigious, highly competitive fully-funded scholarships. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Also, Apply for Allied Military Scholarship Competition 2020 in the USA
In order to gain more insight into this program, let us have a look at the Bill Gates Scholarship overview.
University of Cambridge
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
This scholarship is held in the United Kingdom(UK)
Number of Scholarships
80 Scholarships are offered annually
Have you enrolled in free online scholarships? If NO, check these out: University of Queensland Free Online Courses Australia, British Council Free Online Certified Courses (Fully Funded), Massachusetts Institute of Technology Free Online Courses, Yale University Free Online Courses United States of America, Google Free Online Courses | Free Certificate, University of Washington Online Courses 2020 (Fully Funded), Microsoft Free Verified Online Certificates Courses
The studentships are available to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
- Citizens of all countries are eligible to apply
- Applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge: Ph.D. (three-year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two-year research-only degree); or a one-year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA, etc.)
- OR already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. For example, if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a Ph.D. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the rest of it.
- OR already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting, and interviewing as all other candidates.
Worth of Scholarship
For 2020 entry, Gates Cambridge will offer 80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to Ph.D. students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
The Bill Gates Scholarship Covers the following:
- the University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate*
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,500 for 12 months at the 2020-21 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for Ph.D. scholars, the award is for up to 4 years
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- inbound visa costs and the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
Also, the Trust considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,120 for a first child and up to £4,320 for a second child (2020-21 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
Scholarships award amounts depending on the length of the chosen degree course or Study project, 12 to 24 months. However, students who are exceptional in their academics can ask for an extension.
- Outstanding intellectual ability
- Leadership potential
- A commitment to improving the lives of others
- A good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate program at Cambridge for which they are applying.
- Round 1 (US citizens based in the USA) – 9 October 2019 for entry in October 2020.
- Round 2 (all other eligible candidates) – Dependent on your course – either 3 December 2019 or 7 January 2020
How to Apply
The mode of applying is electronically or by post.
Finally, interested and qualified candidates should click on the GREEN link to apply.