Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU) is a reputable institution of higher learning located in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Established in 2010, AKSU has been committed to providing quality education, fostering research, and producing well-rounded graduates.
In this article, we will explore important aspects of AKSU, including the cutoff marks, admission requirements, scholarships, and school fees. Whether you are a prospective student or simply curious about AKSU, this article will provide valuable insights to help you understand and navigate the admissions process and financial obligations.
Table of Contents
About Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU)
Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU) is a prominent institution of higher education situated in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Established in 2010, the university has become known for its dedication to academic excellence and holistic student development. AKSU offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs across various disciplines, including Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Engineering, Management Sciences, Education, and Agriculture.
At AKSU, students benefit from a supportive and conducive learning environment. The university’s faculty members are highly qualified and committed to providing quality education and mentorship to students. AKSU is equipped with modern facilities, including well-equipped classrooms, libraries, laboratories, and recreational spaces, ensuring that students have access to the resources they need to excel academically.
In addition to its academic programs, AKSU places importance on extracurricular activities and student involvement. The university encourages students to engage in sports, cultural events, clubs, and societies to foster their personal and social development. AKSU’s commitment to holistic education ensures that students graduate not only with knowledge in their chosen fields but also with a well-rounded set of skills and experiences.
Furthermore, AKSU is committed to research and innovation. The university encourages faculty and students to pursue research projects that contribute to knowledge creation and address societal challenges. Through research, AKSU aims to make a positive impact on the local community and beyond.
Courses Offered in Akwa Ibom State University
The full list of approved Akwa Ibom State University courses and their cut-off mark has been published. See the accredited AKSU courses and requirements for admission for 2023/2024 below.
- Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Agricultural Engineering
- Animal Science
- Applied Geophysics
- Banking and Finance
- Biological Science(s)
- Business Administration
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Education and Biology
- Education and Chemistry
- Education and Integrated Science
- Education and Mathematics
- Education and Physics
- Electrical / Electronic Engineering
- English and Literary Studies
- Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Genetics and Bio-Technology
- History and International Studies
- Marine Biology
- Marine Engineering
- Mass Communication
- Mechanical Engineering
- Performing Arts
- Petroleum Engineering
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Religious Studies
- Soil Science
Akwa Ibom State University Cutoff Marks
Cutoff marks are the minimum scores required by candidates in the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) to be eligible for admission into AKSU. It’s important to note that cutoff marks may vary across different programs and departments.
Jamb Cutoff Mark
The cut-off score for the 2023/2024 admissions process has been made public by Akwa Ibom State University’s administration. For the academic year 2023–2024, AKSU’s general Post-UTME minimum cut-off score is 140 and higher.
This will be the JAMB score that will be used for admission into AKSU for the 2023/2024 academic session.
Akwa Ibom State University Departmental Cut-Off Mark
The departmental cut-off mark is the minimum cut-off mark for admission into various departments in a particular University.
The Akwa Ibom State University doesn’t really have a set minimum cut-off mark for courses. However, applicants for admission to any of their preferred courses must have a minimum UTME score of 180.
The admissions process at the Akwa Ibom State University is competitive because there are so many students that want to attend. using O’ level marks and JAMB results.
Below are courses offered in the university as well as their cut off mark;
- 220 – 240 – Medicine (O’ Level result with one sitting only) and Nursing
- 200 – Mass Communication, Common Law, Pharmacy, Anatomy, Physiology
- 190 – Computer Science, English Language, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Geology, all engineering courses except Agricultural and Biosystem Engineering.
- 180 – All other courses
Candidates MUST have the necessary UTME subject combinations as outlined in the JAMB Brochure, the necessary ‘O’ Level subjects at the credit level, and the minimum UTME scores for the courses they have chosen.
AKSU Post UTME Eligibility:
- Candidates who score exactly or above the required cut-off mark.
- Candidates who chose Akwa Ibom State University as their preferred choice of institution during the UTME Registration.
- Candidates are also required to obtain the required O’level credits for their programs as specified in JAMB Brochure.
- Candidate must be at least 16 years of age
- Interested Candidates who did not choose Akwa Ibom State University during the UTME Registration but wish to study at the University should change to the AKSU via the JAMB website.
AKSU Acceptance Fee
The Akwa Ibom State University Acceptance Fee for 2023/2024 Academic Session is N30,000 (Indigenes and Non-indigenes exclusive). This fee is non-refundable and mandatory for every new 100L student.
|Indigenes||N53,000.00 per session|
|Non-indigenes||N73,000.00 per session|
Akwa Ibom State University Admission Requirements
To gain admission into AKSU, prospective students must fulfill certain requirements. These requirements are designed to ensure that applicants possess the necessary qualifications and readiness for academic success. The admission requirements may differ depending on the level of study (undergraduate or postgraduate) and the specific program. Here are some general admission requirements for AKSU
Admission Requirements through Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME)
1. Minimum of Credit passes in Five (5) subjects including the English Language at SSCE, GCE O’Level, and any other equivalent examinations.
2. UTME scores of at least 140 and above (subject to change).
3. Post-UTME screening score of not less than 180 (subject to change).
4. In addition to the above, candidates must make Akwa Ibom State University 1st choice to qualify to write the Post-UTME Screening Test.
5. Candidates who score less than 140 on the Post-UTME screening test are not eligible for admission into any program in AKSU irrespective of any higher scores obtained at UTME.
6. For final selection into programs, the candidate’s average scores from the UTME and Post-UTME screening Tests are used.
The cut-off point for admission varies from one program to another.
Admission Through Direct Entry
1. Minimum of credit passes in five subjects including English Language at SSCE, GCE O’Level,U or equivalent qualification.
2. Either A’ levels, OND, or NCE in relevant subject areas.
3. An acceptable score in the Direct Entry Screening Exercise.
4. Final selection is based on a combination of the candidate’s certificates and score in the direct entry screening test.
Undergraduate Admission Requirement
- Candidates must have a minimum of five credit passes in relevant subjects, including English Language and Mathematics, in not more than two sittings.
- They are required to sit for the UTME and attain the minimum cutoff mark specified by AKSU.
- Prospective students must participate in the AKSU Post-UTME screening exercise and perform satisfactorily.
- Some programs may have additional requirements, such as specific O’Level subject combinations or pre-requisite subjects.
Postgraduate Admission Requirement
- Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree with a minimum grade requirement from a recognized institution.
- They may need to submit academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.
- Some programs may require candidates to sit for a qualifying examination or interview.
It’s crucial to emphasize that specific admission requirements may vary across programs, faculties, and departments. Therefore, it is advisable for prospective students to consult AKSU’s official website or contact the admissions office for detailed and accurate information pertaining to their desired program.
Akwa Ibom State University School Fees
School fees are an essential aspect of university education, and understanding the cost structure is crucial for students and their families. School fees at AKSU vary depending on the program, level of study, and student category (indigenes or non-indigenes of Akwa Ibom State). It’s important to note that fees may be subject to change, and the following information provides a general overview of AKSU’s school fees:
- Indigenes of Akwa Ibom State usually pay lower tuition fees compared to non-indigenes.
- Undergraduate students are required to pay tuition fees, acceptance fees, laboratory fees, library fees, and other miscellaneous charges.
- AKSU provides a detailed breakdown of the fees on its official website, including the amount payable for each academic session.
- Postgraduate students are also required to pay tuition fees, acceptance fees, and other charges specific to their program.
- The exact fees for postgraduate programs can be obtained from the AKSU website or the school’s postgraduate school.
Akwa Ibom State University School Fees 2023/2024 Academic Session
There was an upward review of AKSU school fees by the management of the university and it has been fixed as follows:
|Returning Students (Indigene)||N53,700 per session|
|Returning Students (Non-Indigene)||N73,000 per session|
|Freshers (Indigene)||N90,000 per session|
|Freshers (Non-Indigene)||N120,000 per session|
a) All first-year students must complete the five (five) General Studies Courses that are required. Due to this, they must pay an additional N2, 500.00 (two thousand five hundred Naira) for the 5 (five) GSS courses at a cost of N500.00 each.
b) Other returning students who have GSS course(s) to register for will pay (N500.00) just for each GSS course, based on the number of GSS courses they have registered for.
Scholarships at Akwa Ibom State University
AKSU offers various scholarship opportunities to support and recognize academic excellence among its students. Scholarships can provide financial assistance and encourage students to strive for academic success. Here are some notable scholarships available at AKSU:
AKSU Merit Scholarship
- This scholarship is awarded to outstanding students who demonstrate exceptional academic performance.
- It is a prestigious scholarship that covers a significant portion of the tuition fees for the duration of the program.
- Eligibility criteria and application processes may vary, so prospective students should visit the university’s website or contact the scholarship office for specific details.
State Government Scholarships
- The Akwa Ibom State Government provides scholarships to indigenes of the state who are studying at AKSU.
- These scholarships aim to alleviate the financial burden on deserving students and encourage educational advancement.
- AKSU students are encouraged to explore external scholarship opportunities offered by government agencies, corporations, foundations, and international organizations.
- These scholarships may have specific eligibility criteria and application procedures, and students should actively seek out and apply for relevant opportunities.
Prospective and current AKSU students should regularly check the university’s official website, notice boards, and scholarship portals for updated information on available scholarships, eligibility criteria, application deadlines, and selection processes.
Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU) offers a platform for academic excellence and personal development. By understanding the cutoff marks, admission requirements, scholarships, and school fees, prospective students can better navigate the admissions process and plan their financial obligations. AKSU’s commitment to quality education and the availability of scholarships further contribute to its reputation as a center for academic growth and opportunity.
How can I apply for Aksu admission?
Click on “START NOW”
Click on “Enroll”
Click on PUTME.
Enter your JAMB Registration Number.
Click the arrow below to Verify and Continue.
Proceed to make payment of ₦2,000.00 only as registration fee (excluding bank charges)
What is the acceptance fee for Aksu?
The Akwa Ibom State University’s acceptance fee for the academic year 2023–2024 is N30,000 (exclusive of indigenous students and non-indigenous students). This cost is required of all incoming 100L students and is not refundable.
Does Aksu accept second choice?
- Lagos State University of Science and Technology: 2023 Admission, Cutoff Mark, Scholarships, and Tuition Fees
- Bells University of Technology: 2023 Cutoff Mark, Admission requirements, Scholarships, Tuition
- Edo State University: 2023 Cutoff Mark, Admission Requirements, Scholarships, Tuition
- Olabisi Onabanjo University: 2023 Cutoff Mark, Admission requirements, Scholarships, Tuition
- Ebonyi State University: 2023 Cutoff Mark, Admission requirements, Scholarships, Tuition