Here is an opportunity for you to apply for Abia State Scholarship. The newly inaugurated Abia State Scholarship Board has invited applications from interested and qualified candidates, especially students and civil servants of Abia State origin for undergraduate and postgraduate scholarship programmes in Australia.
The Abia State Scholarship Program is an idea of the Abia State Government. The main aim of making available Scholarship opportunities to students is to develop social capital to meet up with the growing needs and workforce requirements of the State and to also improve the culture of learning amongst the indigenes. A peculiar condition has been attached to the Scholarship program and that is that the students would return to Abia State after completion of their course and requirements and serve the government of Abia State for a period of 5 years.
The board is to among other things support succour and support from Primary, Secondary through Tertiary education in Abia, look for the most vulnerable pupils and students in their first and final years of education and those who desire for skills in a lie with his administrations’ objectives which he described as most critical.
Governor Ikpeazu while inaugurating the board said the support for the yearnings of the youth to achieve education is very important. He said members of the board were painstakingly chosen and expressed belief that they are capable of bringing innovations and ensure young Abia State indigenes have access to quality education beyond Nigeria.
Abia State Scholarship Programme to Study in Australia
This newly inaugurated board has called for applications from interested and qualified candidates, especially students and civil servants of Abia State. The chairman of the board, Ambassador Empire Kanu made this known at the first press briefing if the Board. He mentioned that the scholarship is for those that intend to study at the University of Newcastle and the University of New England, Australia.
- Evidence of State of Origin/ Local Government
- Admission letter into the institution with information on the course of study, year of entry and duration.
- SSCE/GCE/NECO O’ Level Certificate
- A school ID card or National ID or Driver’s Licence or International Passport.
Applicants must have:
- Completed four years bachelors degree
- Minimum of five years of work experience
- O’ level certificate
- Any other courses completed
- IELTS or PTE result
- Employment letter/ letter from employer
Award Eligibility Requirement
- An indigene of Abia State
- Employees of Abia State Government
- Approved students Applications for admission via OAA Study
- Offer Letter from the University of Newcastle
HOW TO APPLY FOR ABIA STATE SCHOLARSHIP IN 2020/2021
Application for the Abia State scholarship is done by submitting the already filled application form at the State’s scholarship board.
- First, download the Scholarship form.
- Fill in the required information
- Attach the necessary documents
- Submit the filled form and the attached documents at the Abia State Scholarship Board office.
Note: You must fill the application form in BLOCK LETTER.
Requirements/Eligibility for Abia State scholarship
- The applicant must be a bona-fide indigene of Abia State (By Paternity).
- Applicants must have at least five (5) credits in GCE/SSCE/WASC/NECO in Maths, English Language and 3 other relevant subjects obtained in one sitting.
- For an undergraduate student, an applicant must be a full time (100 LEVEL) degree students of the under-listed courses in Abia State:
- The Michael Opara University of Agriculture at Umudike
- Abia State University in Uturu
- College of Health Sciences
- Gregory University Uturu.
List of Course Eligible for Application
- Agricultural Engineering
- Agricultural Science
- Business Administration
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Environmental Studies
- Mass Communication/Journalism
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials/ Metallurgical Engineering
- Human Medicine
- Petroleum Engineering
- System Engineering
More Info About Abia State Scholarship
Ambassador Kanu who revealed that the Abia State government is subsidising the scholarship programmes for each of the candidates to the tune of 50 per cent while the Universities bear the remaining percentage, stated that a minimum of 100 candidates per year would benefit in the scholarship programme that would last throughout the administration of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu.
The Chairman explained that the postgraduate programme is for civil servants in the State who are not more than 50 years old or more than 25 years in the civil service. He commended Governor Okezie Ikpeazu for his love for education which made him enter into a partnership with the two Australian Universities which made it possible for the scholarship. A release signed by the Chairman of the Abia State Scholarship Board Chief Empire Kanu listed the available courses for the program to include: Engineering, Pharmacy, Dental science, Public Health Studies, Basic Science and Research, Law, Arts, and Humanities, International Relations and Social Works.
According to the release, applicants must have a minimum of five O’level credits in relevant courses including the English language.
“All Applications should be submitted to Abia State scholarship Board, fifth-floor ASUBEB building opposite International Conference Center Umuahia. All application must reach Abia State scholarship board office on or before 15th March 2020,” the release said
Contributing, some members of the Board, Professor Sam Agu, Dr.(Mrs.) Schama Malik Egbuta and Dr. (Mrs) Nnenna Anyanwu informed that the courses to be done would be more of Information Technology and science-based and would enhance the development of the State.
They equally disclosed that apart from the abroad scholarship, the Board would soon come up with modalities for scholarship within Nigeria.